What does preventative care look like?

Regular trips to the hygienist and dentist for teeth cleanings, exams and diagnostic x-rays will go a long way in helping to prevent dental disease and diagnose disease in its earliest stages when solutions are simple and relatively inexpensive. Below are a few of the preventative services explained.

Prevention, prevention, prevention.

As the adage goes, ‘an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.’ Everyone has the opportunity to practice preventative dental care themselves by brushing at least twice a day and flossing each night. A healthy diet low in sugar and high in calcium and phosphorus is another way people can maintain healthy teeth and gums. Visits to a dentist and dental hygienist on a regular basis is also essential. For most people, every six months is sufficient. For people with a history of dental disease, every three to four months is necessary. 

Dr. Vartanian Shining a Light on a Patient
Comprehensive Dental Exam

Comprehensive Dental Exam

Twice a year, thorough examinations of your teeth and gums to check for decay, gum disease, cavities, and other oral issues.

Woman Walking Outside of a Building
General Dentistry

General Dentistry

Designed to help you achieve and maintain a healthy, naturally beautiful and fully functional smile, for life.

Patient at Reception Desk
Dental Hygiene & Maintenance

Dental Hygiene & Maintenance

Usually accompany a comprehensive exam; a professional cleaning, flossing, and polishing of the teeth. 

Woman Posing with a Tree in the Background


A great way to prevent cavities before they have a chance to form. Sealants fill deep crevices and grooves in molars and make it impossible for bacteria and food particles to settle.

Couple Smiling at the Beach
Scaling & Root Planing

Scaling & Root Planing

An extensive removal of tartar and smoothening of the surface of teeth and roots to impede future buildup.

Benefits of preventative care

When you are proactive with your oral and dental health, you can take precautions to ensure the continued health of your teeth. Any discussion of preventive dentistry would not be complete without mention of nightguards.

A nightguard is worn on the surface of a person’s upper teeth as protection against clenching and teeth grinding, called bruxism, while sleeping or during other stressful activities, like exercise. Bruxism is a common form of stress release that occurs during sleep. 

Bruxsim can be extremely damaging to teeth, gums, jaw bones and TMJ. The long-term effects of teeth clenching and grinding can be devastating, but they can be minimized with the use of a dental nightguard. A well-made nightguard is custom fit to both the teeth and functional bite of the patient.

What can you do at home?

To maintain a healthy mouth, brush your teeth twice a day and floss your teeth every night before bed. Tooth brushing only cleans 70% of the tooth’s surface, which is why daily flossing is key; the remaining 30% of food particles nestle between the teeth and can cause cavities and gingivitis if not removed. 

What can we do for you?

One of our greatest challenges as dental health care professionals is helping motivate people to develop lifetime habits that will help them avoid dental disease. All of us here at Newport Beach Institute for Dentistry are dedicated to helping our “family of patients” realize the benefits of sound preventive dentistry

and adopting the habits that will help ensure each and every one of our patients avoids dental disease as much as possible. Give us a call to start on your preventative dentistry in Newport Beach. Our experienced, helpful, caring and dedicated team is here to provide the best care possible; your mouth will thank you.

Contact us media
Accessibility: If you are vision-impaired or have some other impairment covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to using this website, please contact our Accessibility Manager at 949.229.7170.
Contact Us